GOD’S WILL is not as elusive as people make it out to be. God’s will is plainly spelled out for all of us in the Word of God. God’s Word is a lamp that lights our way in life’s journey (Psalm 119:105). The problem is that too many are ignorant of what God is saying in His Written Word. It seems much easier to “imagine” God’s will because “He spoke to me in my heart” or “It feels right.” Both of these approaches may satisfy what “I” want but it is most certainly NOT what God wants. Our heart is deceitful and wicked the Psalmist said “who can know it?” Don’t “follow your heart” if you want to follow God’s will. Follow His Heart as revealed in the Word of God. Obey the Word of God. He will take care of the details.
The objective way to “hear” God is by reading His Word in submission to the Holy Spirit and then obeying the principles He lays out for us to live by. Romans 12:2 tell us to “Not be conformed to this world, instead be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” To renew our mind we must put something in it that has the power and purpose to change it to understand God’s ways instead of the worlds. The problem is we have spent a lot of time putting “garbage” (the world’s thinking) into our heads and guess what? Garbage comes out! “Garbage In. Garbage Out!”
The Word of God is a “cleansing” agent. It will cleanse our mind and heart. The Word of God is “alive and active” and it “judges the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” It is by the Word of God that we are able to see what God sees in our heart that is “laid naked to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do” Hebrews 4:12, 13. James calls it a “mirror.”
Here are some things that are “no brainers” concerning the Will of God.
- It is God’s will that you have an enduring faith, because without it you cannot please Him. And Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. (Hebrews 11:6; Romans 10:17) Simple faith in the Lord Jesus saves us (eternal life) and enduring faith gives victory in our daily Christian life and eternal rewards to the glory of God.
- It is God’s will that your minds be prepared for action. The action that He is looking for is HOLINESS. To be holy means to be separated from sin and to God. (1 Peter 1:16; John 17:17) This holy life can only be accomplished by trusting in the Spirit of God who enables you to obey the Word of God. Be filled with the Word and controlled by the Holy Spirit. Colossians 3:15, Ephesians 5:18
- It is God’s will that you “fervently love one another.” (1 Peter 1:22-25)
- It is God’s will that you be sexually pure. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8) ALL sex outside of marriage is sin!
- It is God’s will that you “rejoice always; pray all the time; give thanks in everything; do not quench the Spirit of God; do not despise the preaching of the Word; examine everything (through the grid of God’s Word) and abstain from all forms of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22
- It is God’s will for you to make disciples of everyone, everywhere, all the time until the end of your time. Matthew 28:16-20
God’s will is God’s Word. If you are obeying God’s Word you can be assured that you are in God’s will. When our hearts and minds are in tune with God because we are listening to His clear voice in the Written Word of God and obeying what He plainly says, we will be “walking” in the will of God. The STEPS of a RIGHTEOUS person are directed by God. Psalm 37:23. So, be wise in your decisions and MAKE THEM!
In other words, live your life in accordance with the Truth of God’s Written Word.” Its as simple as that. He takes care of the rest.
God wants you to be in right relationship with Him so that He can use you when and where He wants to. He does not need you to DO something FOR Him. BUT you need to be right with Him, so that He can use you to do what He wants to, where He wants to and when He wants to. The Written Word of God is the key to knowing the truth. God’s Word is TRUTH. John 17:17. You can’t go wrong or be wrong if you are obedient to the Word of Truth and pursuing God in it.
So if your heart is burning and yearning to “go” to a certain place or to do a certain thing, pursue it with wise and thinking and a humble heart as you “obey” the “revealed” will of God in the Word of God. Make the best decisions and preparations that you can and then “GO” for it. Listen to wise counsel. That does not mean listening to what someone else “thinks” God is telling you to do. BUT listen to them when they are evaluating your character and steps according to the Word of God. We do have blind spots.
The Christian life is an adventure. You can be sure that the Lord will direct your steps as you follow Him in His Word.
The Word is God’s flashlight for your life’s journey.
Turn it on and start walking according to the “will of God.”
Jeff Hawkins is the "Zambia Coordinator" with Hope Builders Ministries, P.O.Box 317, Greenwood, VA 22943 Email: Jeff@HBMin.org